Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dramatic Ramblings of a Bibliophile

The definition of a bibliophile is as follows:

"A lover of books, especially for qualities of format; also, a book collector."

I am these things. A lover of books. A book collector. I'm obsessed with books.  Truly, I own more than I can read, and have even more than that on my Goodreads.com to-read list.  With this passion, heavens, the idea of books becoming obsolete to me is one of the most frightening things imaginable! I stare at a computer all day long and the last thing I want to do when I get home is read a book on a stinking computer. I'm sure the iReaders (or whatever they are called) seem like a good idea, but they are not a good idea!!! Books have pages to highlight and write notes on, in different colors if you like. Books have a unique scent that says, "Here I am, a true friend who is always here for you and waiting ever so patiently for you to hold me again." Books are tangible, comfort to the touch, soothing to the soul. A book in my hand is the one constant reassurance I have known my whole life. Before I knew Jesus, all I had were books to escape from a world full of hardships and trials. What is an iReader? An electronic device, a cold computer like the one I use all day at work. Blah!

I uncovered a scroll in my office closet. Curious, I unrolled it to find a picture I drew in middle school. It was an assignment for my art class (I hated that teacher, by the way...). We were to draw the career we dreamed of having. I drew a bunch of books and book covers with my name as the author. Will my dream one day come true only to see my grandchildren reading my published book on the computer? Oh, the horror!

What luxury can be found in a room with no books? I dislike any room in my house that does not contain books. A room without books to me is void of any real comfort and pleasure. A room without books is a room without spirit, without soul.

Books provide a world seen beyond our current circumstances, a window to the past, our hope for the future. For who will not succeed that loves to read and who will not know the lesson of value and sacredness that holds a book in his hand?

Sigh...

Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment